PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate), the sheets are solid and naturally transparent thermoplastic materials. They are popular with the name "Plexiglas", under the trademark of one of the first acrylic manufacturers "Rohm and Haas Company". Organic glass – the other popular name of "Plexiglas", has a density of approximately 2 times that of glass, but it is noticeably more flexible and easier to work with than glass.
Plexiglass panels, unlike the glass one, can be either transparent or colored to achieve a virtually unlimited colour shares and light transmission levels. Wide choice of panels in three main categories according to their optical characteristics:
- Transparent with a light transmittance of over 92%, which in turn are: colorless (crystal) and colour transparent (beer bottle type).
- Diffusion (light scattering): opal (milky white) with varying degrees of light transmittance: 30%, 40%, 70% and 80%, and Colour with a wide variety of colours (RAL and Pantone).
- Opaque with a wide variety of colours.
"Plexiglas" boards can have either double-sided or one-sided glossy or matte (satinised) surface. This implies a broad application potential that meets the varied needs of designers and, in general, visual communication specialists (viscom). PMMA boards are extruded or cast, and each production process provides different technical parameters to the sheets, allowing additional diversity to this polymer.
Experience has shown that cast and pressed boards can be used interchangeably. The final selection of the type of boards should be made depending on their intended use, technical requirements and costs. Tuplex also offers a huge variety of special acrylic panels that have been developed in the recent years by leading acrylic manufacturers:
- Edge Lit (Elit) -acrylic panels that distribute light by illuminating the edge of the board. Application for thin-walled light boxes with the transmission and scattering of light coming from the edge of the plane.
- HI (high impact) panels - transparent acrylic panels with increased impact strength and excellent mechanical properties.
- UVD panels - transmitting ultraviolet rays for solariums.
- Gold and silver mirror - A real mirror, but far more unbreakable
- Prismatic panels - lightweight panels with different structure and colour on one or both sides used for glazing and lighting functions.
- Plates for LED systems – opal with light scattering in LT = 50%, used in combination with colour LEDs. Ensure a perfect background, soft and pleasant light. UV-resistant and with 10-year - warranty for colour change and light transmission
- Fluo and Soft Fluo fluorescent panels - with luminous edges
- Dual Satin double-satin (sand) panels - with double sided matt, slightly satin finished surface, imitate "effect" frosted glass, scratch-resistant
- Satin boards - with one sided satin, used to produce advertising elements
- Black and white and colour-white panels - changing colour when illuminated
- Vision boards - boards designed for multimedia projections
- Chemical resistant sheets - extremely resistant to chemicals
- Metal & Pearl Plates - imitate metal or pearl surfaces; ideal for advertising and interior design
- Block - from 25 mm to 200 mm thick, used for the production of advertising elements and interior design in transparent and opal varieties
- SRD boards designed for sound barriers